Dafna Levine: Tribute To Rav Kahn
Dear Rav Kahn,
I always put a lot of pressure on myself to write the perfect thing when expressing my gratitude to people, which is why I unfortunately haven’t sent you such an email other than a short thank you at the end of each of the last six semesters. Especially for you, such an influential person in my life, there are so many things I want to say which makes me that much more scared to limit my thoughts to one email. I decided, though, that many disbanded thoughts are better than nothing. On that note, please forgive me for my lack of organization and clarity, and for anything important that I missed.
First off, I just wanted to discuss how much I appreciate the way you ran your shiur. There are so many great things about the fact that you cold-called on your students, but one thing I especially now appreciate about it is that you gave a voice to some people who lacked the confidence to speak up. Being in gpats now with many of the women who were in your undergraduate shiur with me has made me really miss hearing some of their voices and creative ideas that I know are swimming in their minds. You didn’t just force us to speak up; by doing so, you taught us that we all have unique ideas to contribute to the class just as much as the other students who we maybe considered much smarter. Additionally, this aspect of the shiur made it so smoothly transition to becoming remote. Even though the technology was probably difficult for you to become accustomed to, you handled it very well which we so appreciated. While I sorely missed your presence in the beit midrash, I think that in every remote semester we spent together I noted both to my fellow students and to you in the evaluations that your classroom ran so well on zoom due to its being interactive and engaging.
The main thing I want to address though, is the huge impact you’ve had on my life (as one of the hundreds of women to feel this way). Your shiur was a big reason why I wanted to attend Stern in the first place, and it completely made my college experience worth it. I always tell people that while I learned Gemara at what’s considered a pretty high level in Ma’ayanot and Migdal Oz, my first real experience where I really felt like I was actually now starting to know how to learn on my own was your shiur. It gave me the fundamental skills necessary for studying Gemara and the confidence in those skills I now have. It inspired me to join gpats to keep pushing myself to improve before I hopefully attend medical school. I always loved Gemara as a subject matter since I started learning it, but I had mostly experienced frustration with the shiurim I was in (due to a lack of real high-level learning) until I got to yours.
You never taught us differently just because we’re women- no source packets, no extra sympathy, and no dumbing it down. Just pure Gemara and Rashi followed by other rishonim once we had completely mastered those. You called on us at random, you had high standards for every single one of us, and you gave us the harsh critique needed for improvement. An answer not perfectly articulated was never accepted since it meant we did not fully understand what we were trying to explain. All of these aspects of your teaching significantly sharpened my skills thereby allowing me to really be koneh Torah on a whole new level, in addition to being able to analyze precisely and think critically in my secular classes.
All of this inspired me to double major, in addition to my biology major, in what they technically call Judaic studies but I just say Rav Kahn. I wanted to learn more Gemara and take your advanced shiur every semester since the skills you gave me and the way you taught made me really appreciate how much more I could learn if I practically majored in your shiur.
Had it only been my sharpened Gemara skills that you helped me hone over the years, dayenu. And yet, I am also so beyond grateful to you for bringing me into a special community of women. On a micro level, your shiur gathered some of the brightest and most thoughtful students, many of whom are now my closest friends. At Tehila’s wedding a few months ago, I smiled as I looked around at the table where our whole shiur from last semester was sitting, so appreciative of the special chevra with which your shiur has provided me. Upon entering the beit midrash on my first day of gpats this year, I felt right at home as I swung open the beit midrash door. On a macro level, though, the worldwide community of learned modern orthodox women is not only one that you allowed me to join but one that you enabled in the first place around forty years ago when you switched from teaching at JSS to teaching in Stern. Many of my teachers, mentors, and role models are the people that they are because of their experience with you as their Rebbe. All the accomplishments of your students, grand-students, great-grand-students, and on and on have all been made possible because of your modest work. We now all have a special connection with one another to cherish forever, thanks to you.
Had it only been my Gemara skills and the special community with which you provided me, dayenu. And yet, it was such a zechut being able to learn with you for three years; to be able to experience and get to know the special person that you are. Your ability to be so grounded, modest, worldly, and thoughtful while doing such special work is what I admire about you. Whenever we would meet up with you outside your house, we were always surprised and amazed by how unassuming you really are. Sitting in your classroom on my first day of Stern, shaking from fear of saying one wrong word, I would have never guessed you would soon be baking us challah, sharing funny stories, having us over in your house, or rocking your blue light glasses. I will always remember how kind you were when my grandfather passed away in the very beginning of covid, happily allowing me to take my midterm late and checking in with me a few days later.
What I most appreciate and respect about you is the fact that you never do things to make a big statement. You teach women because women want to learn. We rarely had the typical women in Judaism discussions with you due to the fact that you were just there to teach us, since as the Rav told you, “why not?” The few times we did discuss these issues, though, you never had any long rants or emotional tirades. It was a simple thing to you, such a non-issue that women can obviously study Gemara on a high level if so desired.
I can keep going on and on, but I think I better end this soon. I want to conclude by sharing my deepest and most profound gratitude.
Thank you, Rav Kahn.
For being my Rebbe, my role model, and my mentor. For trailblazing a path that has given and continues to give me the opportunity to experience a deep level of religious commitment and avodat Hashem. For teaching me, for inspiring me, and for pushing me. For personifying for me what it truly means to be a ben Torah, in both your knowledge and middot. For sharing your Torah and your perspective with me. For always believing in me.
(Dafna is currently a full-time GPATS student, Talmud and Halacha track.)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment