Thoughts from Dena Rock (Stern 1997-2000, GPATS 2000-2002)
I wrote this to share with my Midreshet Lindenbaum students after hearing of Rabbi Kahn’s passing. I have now been teaching Gemara for over 20 years, first at Ma’ayanot Yeshiva High School in Teaneck, and then after making Aliya in 2010, at Midreshet Lindenbaum in Yerushalayim. Gemara is absolutely central to my Judaism and my life. As you will see below, I owe that to Rabbi Kahn.
Though most people have never heard the name Rabbi Moshe Kahn, he has been one of the most influential figures in women’s learning in America. Virtually every single woman who learned Gemara in a serious way in America in the last decades of the 20th century and beginning of the 21st learned from Rabbi Kahn. There are now many high-level Gemara shiurim available for women taught by a variety of different teachers (many of whom were originally taught by Rabbi Kahn!), but 20, 30, and 40 years ago, that was simply not the case. Rabbi Moshe Kahn was it; he was virtually the only one teaching women Gemara in a rigorous way. And what’s remarkable is that he was not a rabble-rouser or revolutionary by nature. Quite the opposite – he was humble, quiet, understated, and gentle. He simply genuinely and deeply loved learning and teaching Torah. And he just as genuinely and deeply cared about and believed in his students.
I want to share my own personal journey so you can all appreciate what an enormous debt of gratitude I owe Rabbi Kahn, and by extension how much all of you who are my students have gained from him as well without ever having even met him. I went to a high school that did not teach girls Gemara, so my first exposure to serious Gemara learning was on the Drisha Summer High School Program the summer after 12th grade. My Gemara teacher that summer was Rabbanit Sally Mayer – who herself had spent years learning with Rabbi Kahn - and I fell in love with Gemara that summer in her shiur. So when I got to Stern College after my year in Israel, I jumped straight into Advanced Gemara with Rabbi Kahn -- and proceeded to drown. I had no idea what was going on; I pretended to take notes only so that he wouldn’t realize how utterly lost I was. When it came time to register for second semester classes, I did NOT sign up for Gemara. However, I had to call Rabbi Kahn during the break between semesters to get his address to mail him my final assignment (WhatsApp didn’t exist yet…). When he found out I wasn’t planning on taking Gemara the following semester, he was so upset, and had so much confidence in my potential, that he stayed on the phone with me and wouldn’t end the conversation until he had convinced me to change my schedule and register for another semester of Gemara after all. So in many ways, I owe my Gemara career and the importance of Gemara in my life to his early confidence in me and his belief in my potential. I went on to take him for Advanced Gemara all 6 of my semesters as an undergraduate in Stern, and then for an additional 2 years as a student in GPATS. He literally and absolutely laid the foundations of my Gemara skills, my approach to learning, my focus on the text, and the centrality Gemara plays in my life. I am forever indebted to him.
(Dena is a Gemara Ramim at Midreshet Lindenbaum.)
Comments
Post a Comment