Tribute To Rav Kahn: Lisa Septimus



Lisa (Seligsohn) Septimus GPATS 2000-2002


Many of Rabbi Kahn’s talmidot were first introduced to gemara by Rabbi Kahn. This was not the case with me. I was 22 the first time I sat in a shiur (at GPATS) with Rabbi Kahn and I had been learning gemara for 10 years (although never intensely). 

Rabbi Kahn was, however, the first gemara teacher who made me more accountable for the text, and for translating carefully rather than just developing good analysis. He helped me develop the foundational skills, but never at the sacrifice of rich discussions and analysis. In time I realized that this was not only his style of learning, but it also reflected a deep respect that he had for women’s talmud torah. He would devote many hours, and demand that we devote the time as well, not just to give over an engaging and entertaining shiur (although his shiur certainly was!!!), but for us to gain skills and progress to the next level. 

I always loved learning gemara but it was only during my time learning with Rabbi Kahn that I began to see myself capable of teaching gemara.

Shiur was lively with animated debates over the gemara and rishonim. Rabbi Kahn’s

humility and teaching style made our gemara shiur very talmida centered.  I remember

the many times in shiur when he said, “I can’t understand this Milchemet, it doesn’t make any sense, can anyone explain it?”  The first time Rabbi Kahn said that, I actually believed he wasn’t sure. And even once I realized that it was his way of motivating us and getting us to think and express (in the most precise terms) what was being said- it worked! And boy was it exciting to figure it out. Rabbi Kahn’s authentic and unique humility, and his love of the process and teaching, made him masterful in this approach.

I try to emulate Rabbi Kahn’s teaching style and his humility.  His humility allowed him to see value in every person and respect them, and similarly respect a wide range of Torah and moral approaches in life. This was never at the sacrifice of conviction and inner strength to stand up for what he believed in, even when it did not represent the consensus.  His article on birth control is an example of such.  It is an important contribution to the halakhic conversations on family planning, and it was personally quite powerful for me to hear a halakhic voice emphasizing respect and trust in individuals. 

Rabbi Kahn and his wonderful eishet chayil, welcomed us into their home for a shabbaton (1st year, 1st class of GPATS). A rebbe is someone with whom you have a personal connection outside of the Beit midrash as well. I always enjoyed seeing Rabbi Kahn over the years since my time learning with him.  He would ask about my life and I really enjoyed hearing about his studying psychoanalysis and becoming a therapist. 

In every respect Rabbi Kahn lived the words in pirkei avot, יְהִי כְבוֹד תַּלְמִידְךָ חָבִיב עָלֶיךָ כְּשֶׁלְּךָ . 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tamar Beer Horowitz Tribute to Rav Kahn

Ilana Gadish: Tribute to Rav Kahn

Ilana Bauman: Tribute to Rav Kahn